Sometimes it may not be necessary to replace your old lock. Your lock, although old might just be needing some attention and polishing, and to help your lock last longer you will have to give it an extra bit of care and maintenance.
- Lubricate: Locks tend to get tighter when left unlubricated for a long time. To make sure your lock lasts longer, keep it lubricated with a graphite or silicon based product before you end up with a faulty lock or with your key breaking inside.
- Get rid of rust: One of the main reasons why locks get ruined is the accumulation of rust due to the constant weather changes in Brisbane.
- Tighten the screws: You might find the handle of a lock hanging on the door. This happens due to too much friction over time. It is wise to check for lose screws and tighten them when needed.
- Polish your lock: To get rid of the worn out and neglected look from your lock, have your lock polished to get the appearance of a brand new
- Clean your lock: Different metals are coated with different materials depending on compatibility and preference. Make sure that you clean your lock with the material that will not harm the coating of your lock.
It is a good decision to take extra care to make your old lock last longer. However, if you think that your lock is totally worn out beyond any form of repair, it is recommended that you immediately opt for a lock replacement for the safety of your home and your family. Contact Brizsouth Locksmiths for an immediate solution.